Friday, January 14, 2011

Recipe: Enchilada Lasagna for Lazies

I was feeling lazy about my grocery list for this week and decided to get one of those $5 rotisserie chickens from Costco, which is a major steal because for us that means three meals worth of food. Plus I think that Costco's rotisserie chicken is juicer and more flavorful than ones I've had from other stores. I try to mix it up though by doing different things with the chicken meat. On the second day, I made this dish that I invented myself because I am too lazy to roll individual enchiladas. I usually try not to use so many pre-made sauces in my life because I like to control the amount of sodium I am consuming at home, but I'd had a really long day at work the day before so I decided to take it easy. At least I made my own guacamole.

Ingredients
2 rotisserie chicken breasts
1 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons of your favorite salsa
4 of your favorite tortillas
8+ ounces grated Colby Jack cheese
1/2 cup enchilada sauce

Directions
Shred your chicken meat; hand-shredding will give it a much nicer texture than cutting it up with a knife. (The reason you should use the breast meat is because this dish will give it a moist environment and you should save the naturally-juicy dark meat parts for a classic chicken dinner.) Place the meat in a medium-sized bowl and combine it with 1 1/4 cups of your salsa. The mixture should hold together nicely without being too saucy, so add more salsa if necessary.

Preheat your oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Spoon 2 tablespoons of salsa into a 9" x 9" casserole dish and spread it around just to cover the bottom. Cut the tortillas into quarters. Place 4 tortilla quarters on the bottom so that the right angles of the pieces fit into the corners of the dish. Use another quarter to fill the hole in the middle.

Spoon half of the chicken-and-salsa mixture on top of the tortillas and spread it evenly. Sprinkle an even layer of cheese over it. Then repeat with another layer of tortilla quarters, the rest of the chicken-and-salsa mixture, and more cheese. Top it with a third layer of tortilla quarters, the enchilada sauce, and the rest of the cheese. (I use Rick Bayless's Chipotle Garlic Enchilada Sauce.) You can feed your remaining unused quarter of a tortilla to your husband and/or dog.

Bake the casserole for 30 minutes, and then let it set for a couple of minutes before cutting it up.

| Photo Credit: Me. |

No comments:

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...