I read a bunch of different instructions on poaching eggs before I tried making my first one. This is what seems to work best for me.
- Fill a 2-quart nonstick saucepan halfway with water. Place your saucepan on high heat until the water is just beginning to boil.
- Add a splash of your cheapest vinegar and turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Crack an egg into a bowl and then gently pour it into the saucepan.
- Use a non-metal slotted spatula or turner (something that won't scratch the bottom of your pan) to nudge the whites towards the yolk.
- Turn off the heat and let the egg sit undisturbed for 3 minutes.
- Use your spatula to make sure the egg is not stuck to the saucepan.
- Gently lift the egg out, draining the water through the spatula slots.
Eat your masterpiece right away because on the chilly days we have been having lately, they cool rather quickly. Mine got cold in the amount of time it took for me to shoot that photo. Sad face.
| Photo Credit: Me. |