Friday, May 6, 2011

How to Make Paper Ribbon Flags

Like everyone else, I am digging the new decor line from BHLDN (a.k.a. Anthropologie for weddings) that launched yesterday. There are lots of beautiful pieces that aren't just for weddings and can be used for everyday cheer as well. If you, like me, are lusting after cute little party supplies but can't really justify ordering them, here's a photo DIY tutorial I put together for how to make their Ribbon-Tailed Pennants (shown on the left, with my version shown on the right).

Making these is so easy that I can hammer out a whole batch of them in the time it would take me to enter in all of my info to place an online order. All you need are some wooden skewers and half-inch-wide strips of paper. I used some construction paper and colored printer paper I had lying around, but you can use any paper that is lighter than cardstock; since I started off with letter-sized sheets, my strips were 8.5 inches long and I trimmed the ends a little once the flag was assembled.

You can also cut the pointy tips off of the skewers for added safety or to match the ones from BHLDN, but I left them on because it would be easier to stick the flags into cakes and other treats that way. Because they cost pennies to make, you can put them together for occasions big and small. Stick a few of these in a stack of waffles to add some festiveness to a Mother's Day breakfast, write names on the flags and use them as placecards, or make one to cheer on a friend studying for finals.

| Photo Credit: top-left. See link provided; top-right & others. Me. |

6 comments:

Mlle T said...

This is awesome; I'm making these for mother's day. Also love the new layout!

birdie to be said...

Very cool! So simple. Thank you.

www.birdietobe.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Lovely! And nice nail polish, too :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Those came out super cute! So many darling uses... I just clicked over from 100 Layer Cake. I would love to link to these if you didn't mind.

Chelsea said...

wow a diy project i can actually do!

Anonymous said...

I love this blog because it is user friendly with appreciative information.
is bubblegum casting legitimate

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...