Friday, July 8, 2011

Wedding Cards From Non-Romantics

Last week I found myself staring at a rack of wedding cards for at least a half-hour at the store. I wanted to pick a great one for my friend Cate to tell her how much it meant to me that she'd chosen to include me on her wedding day and how I wanted to congratulate her on finding love. But all the cards I was looking at had these random quotations about love and, a) were made by someone I hadn't even heard of before, and/or b) I had no idea whether Cate and her groom actually viewed their love in the particular way conveyed by the quote on the card. I definitely didn't want some greeting card company telling my friends how to define their love. Maybe I am just not a very romantic person but I ended up leaving the store empty-handed, and going home and making this card instead.

This way, if they were so inclined, my friends could fill out the front of their card with a statement that did capture the way they viewed their relationship and my message of congratulations and thankfulness inside would apply to whatever that statement may be.

True confessions time: This was an unusual card for me to make because I typically make cards that involve more paper cutouts and rubber stamps and less drawing and lettering by hand. But I had an idea so I gave it a go. I was really happy with the way it turned out—except that one of the last lines I drew was the bold one on the very bottom and when I moved the ruler away, it took some of the wet ink along with it and totally smeared that line. It is with the magic of Photoshop that I concealed this tragic flaw from all of you; this is what the final card looked like in real life. FAIL. Because the magic of Photoshop could not be used for real-life objects, all I could do was include an apologetic note to Cate and her groom in hopes that they not misconstrue my views on their wedding as being so smeared. I can't be perfect all the time.

Dear Cate: If you are reading this and it is a total spoiler for the box of cards you have waiting at home, well, you shouldn't be on the internet during your Jamaican honeymoon, now should you?

| Photo Credit: Me. |

3 comments:

Mlle T said...

Wow, it's gorgeous even with the smudge. The smudge gives it a Tim Burton effect.

Cate said...

I love it, even with the smudge! I can't wait to go home tonight to see it in person! <3

Giri babu said...

Hi every one,
I am very happy to contact to Shaadimeri why because they had provide quality Matrimony, Shaadi, Marriage, Matrimonial, wedding planner services, wedding photographer, videographer, NRI services, wedding cards and invitation are good and superb, and excellent.
wedding cards

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...